Sunday, January 16, 2011

breakthrough victory

Rising Kiwi pro triathlete Jamie Whyte fought off massive winds and a tough course to claim the biggest victory of his career with a wire-to-wire win in 9:03:53 at the fifth Challenge Wanka long course triathlon. He dropped us a brief race report:

"I couldn’t have asked for the race to go any better at Challenge Wanaka. In just my second Ironman distance race I have competed in I had a breakthrough result and the perfect race. There was some strong international triathletes competing that have multiple Ironman titles to their names and on a challenging course it was bound to be a tough day. I was at the front for the whole day – all 9 hours in brutally windy conditions.

With the wind already blowing strong first thing in the morning, Lake Wanaka had a significant chop for the 3.8km swim. I wanted to put some pressure on the other pro men in the swim and went out pretty hard establishing a lead bunch of three. I came home strong in the swim and lead out of the water which was a great way to start the day.

I was quickly joined on the bike by the other two members of that lead swim group - Courtney Ogden and Joshua Rix both from Australia. Rix was riding hard early on which seen Ogden slip off the pace after 10km. So the two of us got down to work and started opening up a significant lead of the chasing group behind. By the time we reached Cromwell (at 105km) we had built up a 7 min lead. However Cromwell was also the end of the line for the massive tail wind we had. As we turned the corner to head back to Wanaka we were confronted by a howling head wind. The wind was so strong it even swept Belinda Harper, the leading female in the race at that stage, clean off her bike!

I could sense Rix’s big effort early on was starting to catch up with him and was not riding strong anymore. Some splits to the chase bunch was showing that they were beginning to come back to us, so it was time to move away solo and attempt to hold the advantage we built up.

It was an incredibly hard final 60km solo in to that head wind. I was focused on my power output as my speed was not making for good reading. I led the race into T2 with a four minute advantage.

The run wasn’t pretty but I was able to hold the gap back to the guys chasing. I thought I would have to run at least 3 hours to hang on to the lead, but the conditions had been so hard on the bike and remained very hard for running in, that no one seemed to be running fast. With 2km to go I got my last split – 6 minutes! I was able to ease up and enjoy the finish cute in down town Wanaka. A breakthrough result for me in just my second Ironman distance race.

It was a very special day with my family watching and there to greet me at the finish line.... I am in Ironman recovery mode now. Looking forward to a few weeks of relaxing."

Enjoy it Jamie! From all of us at blueseventy congratulations!

To learn more about Jamie Whyte visit his website.

Jamie Whyte photos by Phil Walter/Getty Images AsiaPac.


Jason Barson said...

Congratulation. I truly wonder to see the performance. I wish you all the best. :)

research term papers said...

take my congrats too! It's probably your day mate